Chicago architecture boat tours are a great way to see the city’s iconic skyline from a unique perspective. The tours typically depart from docks along the Chicago River, and they offer narrated views of some of the city’s most famous buildings, including the Willis Tower, the John Hancock Center, and the Wrigley Building.
History of Chicago Architecture Boat Tours
The first Chicago architecture boat tours were offered in the early 1900s. These tours were popular with tourists and locals alike, and they helped to promote Chicago as a city of architecture. In the years since, Chicago architecture boat tours have become even more popular, and they are now one of the most popular tourist activities in the city.
Types of Chicago Architecture Boat Tours
There are a variety of different Chicago architecture boat tours available. Some tours are longer than others, and some tours offer more in-depth commentary than others. There are also tours that focus on specific architectural styles, such as Gothic architecture or Art Deco architecture.
Notable Chicago Architecture
Some of the most notable Chicago architecture that can be seen on a boat tour include:
- Willis Tower: The Willis Tower is the tallest building in Chicago and the United States. It was built in 1973, and it is a popular tourist destination.
- John Hancock Center: The John Hancock Center is the second tallest building in Chicago. It was built in 1968, and it is known for its distinctive zigzag design.
- Wrigley Building: The Wrigley Building is a landmark Gothic revival building that was built in 1922. It is located on the Chicago River, and it is a popular tourist destination.
- Tribune Tower: The Tribune Tower is a neo-gothic skyscraper that was built in 1925. It is located on Michigan Avenue, and it is known for its replica of the Statue of Liberty.
- Buckingham Fountain: The Buckingham Fountain is a large fountain that is located in Grant Park. It was built in 1927, and it is a popular tourist destination.
Benefits of Chicago Architecture Boat Tours
There are many benefits to taking a Chicago architecture boat tour. These tours offer a unique perspective of the city’s skyline, and they provide an opportunity to learn about the city’s rich architectural history. Boat tours are also a great way to see the city’s many bridges and waterways.
Tips for Taking a Chicago Architecture Boat Tour
If you are planning to take a Chicago architecture boat tour, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, it is important to book your tour in advance, especially during peak season. Second, you should dress in layers, as the weather can change quickly on the Chicago River. Finally, be sure to bring your camera, as you will want to capture all of the amazing views.
Chicago architecture boat tours are a great way to see the city’s iconic skyline and learn about its rich architectural history. These tours are a popular tourist activity, and they offer a unique perspective of the city. If you are planning a visit to Chicago, be sure to book a boat tour to see all that the city has to offer.